REQUEST FOR EXPRESSIONS OF INTEREST
(CONSULTING SERVICES – FIRMS SELECTION)
Results-based Road Maintenance and Safety Project (RRMSP)
Project ID No.: P 132982
Loan No.: 8489 AL
Assignment Title: Design of Road Traffic Monitoring and Control System
Reference No.: CS29
The Government of Albania has received a loan in the amount of 65.9 million EUR’s financing from the World Bank toward the cost of the Results-based Road Maintenance and Safety Project (RRMSP), and intends to apply part of the proceeds for consulting services.
The Government of Albania wants to design and implement Intelligent Transport Systems (ITS) and therefore has, through the Ministry of Infrastructure and Energy (MEI) and the Albanian Road Authority (ARA) drafted a National Strategy for the Deployment of Intelligent Transport Systems (ITS). The implementation of this strategy should help making Albania’s main transport corridors part of a secure, integrated and multimodal system of inter-European transport. One of the first ITS sub-systems to be deployed would cover a part of Albania’s road network
The consulting services (“the Services”) include: the design of Albania’s Road Traffic Monitoring and Control System. The system will consist of (i) a new Traffic Control Center to be installed in Tirana, at a site already designated by the Government), as well as (ii) the design and specification of the related roadside and communications equipment along the Tirana – Durres (A1) and Tirana – Elbasan (A3) motorways, totaling about 200 km. The Road Traffic Monitoring and Control Center is to be designed is such a way that its coverage can be gradually expanded to the entire network of main roads and urban highways in Albania.
Besides the work for the design of the ITS system, other important tasks of the consultant under the assignment shall be:
- A demand analysis with the objective to define the exact needs and expectations, and the scope of the required capabilities of the system. The demand analysis shall involve all key stakeholders in Albania and be done through workshops and seminars to be organized by the Consultant, during which he shall provide detailed information and guidance to stakeholders on options concerning (i) available technology and systems, (ii) cost for investment and operation, (iii) operational and institutional requirements, so that these stakeholders can make informed decisions.
- An economic and financial feasibility study, to calculate and compare the affordability and economic rate of return for several options of the system, with different costs, capabilities and complexity. This study should support decision-making by Albanian authorities concerning the scope of the system to be deployed.
- Detailed recommendations for the institutional setup and operation of the system, including a review of the legal situation and how it would affect the operation of the system, and recommendations for legal changes if needed.
- The preparation of Technical and Functional Specifications for the supply and installation of the Road Traffic Monitoring and Control Center and the roadside equipment along the Tirana – Durres (A1) and Tirana – Elbasan (A3).
The ARA now invites eligible consulting firms (“Consultants”) to indicate their interest in providing the Services. Interested Consultants should provide information demonstrating that they have the required qualifications and relevant experience to perform the Services.
The shortlisting criteria are:
- Past experience in similar assignments;
- Firms organization and staffing;
- Core business and years in business;
The Consultant Firm must be able to demonstrate previous experience in similar assignments as follow:
- Previous successful experience in in traffic management studies and/or smart cities development studies is desirable in past 10 years of international experience,
- Recent experience (with at least 5 years) with ITS development projects similar scale and scope to these services.
- Experience in European Union in last as well as experience in the Balkan Region
The Consultant firm is expected conduct the services for a maximum duration of 12 months offering the level efforts of 21 man/months for key experts and 40 man/months for non-key expert. The services to be provided by the Consultant is to carry out the Design of Road Traffic Monitoring and Control System. The consulting assignment shall be part of the Results-based Road Maintenance and Safety Project (RRMSP).
The attention of interested Consultants is drawn to paragraph 1.9 of the World Bank’s Guidelines: Selection and Employment of Consultants [under IBRD Loans and IDA Credits & Grants] by World Bank Borrowers, January 2011, and revised July 2014 (“Consultant Guidelines”), setting forth the World Bank’s policy on conflict of interest.
Consultants may associate with other firms in the form of a joint venture or a sub-consultancy to enhance their qualifications, but should indicate clearly whether the association is in the form of a joint venture and/or a sub-consultancy. In the case of a joint venture, all the partners in the joint venture shall be evaluated jointly for the purpose of shortlisting and shall be jointly and severally liable for the entire contract, if selected.
A Consultant will be selected in accordance with the Quality and Cost Based Selection (QCBS) method set out in the Consultant Guidelines.
Further information can be obtained at the ARA in the address below, during office hours: 09:00 to 16:00.
Expressions of interest must be delivered in a written form to ARA address (in person, by mail, or by e-mail) not later than 15 July 2020.
Albanian Roads Authority
Attn: Ergys Verdho / Klodian Sava
ARA, Rruga Sami Frasheri, Nr.33, 1003 Tirana, Albania
Tel: +355 42 22 3600
E-mail: [email protected];