INTERNAL/EXTERNAL VACANCY NOTICE
Office of the United Nations High Commissioner for Refugees (UNHCR) in Tirana, Albania is looking for qualified and highly motivated candidates interested to apply for the following position:
Title of Position: Assistant External Relations Officer – P1/NOA (Professional Category)
Position Number: NP202267
Duty Station: Tirana, Albania
Type of contract: Fixed-Term Appointment
Date of Entry on Duty: 1 January 2020
Duration: 6 months (probation period)
Application Deadline: August 30th, 5:30 p.m. CET
- ORGANIZATIONAL CONTEXT Define the role of the position within the team, describing its leadership role, if any, it’s external/internal work relationships or contacts, the contextual environment in which it operates and the scope of supervision received, and where applicable, exercised by the incumbent.
The incumbent is closely supervised on issues concerning external relations and public information by the External Relations Officer or the Representative who give regular guidance and advice to the incumbent. Advice and operational support may also be received from other senior staff and support units at the Country Office.
External contacts are generally with a broad range of officials from national and international institutions, media or general public on matters of importance to the Organization.
- FUNCTIONAL STATEMENT. Describe the accountabilities, responsibilities and authorities associated with the position.
Accountability (key results that will be achieved)
- UNHCR’s media relations and advocacy work in geographic and thematic area are supported.
- UNHCR’s standing with its counterparts is maintained.
Responsibility (process and functions undertaken to achieve results)
- Assist Senior Management in dealing with the challenges posed by the political context, the UN and humanitarian reform, and institutional developments in the area of forced displacement and humanitarian operations.
- Assist in planning and organizing communications strategy that generates support for UNHCR s operations from external partners (e.g. the general public, governments, partners, the media, academia and persons of concern).
- Assist in the dialogue with donors and embassies and provide accurate information by organizing regular briefings, bilateral meetings and missions.
- Assist Senior Management in disseminating information on UNHCR’s global funding situation and mobilize additional funds to implement special projects aimed at enhancing the quality of protection for persons of concern.
- Participate when requested in the inter-agency cooperation and communication strategies, initiatives and tools.
- Assist in the management of information flows within the country operations by identifying priority matters, securing, analysing and disseminating documentation and information to support country operations and corporate communication processes and priorities.
- Assist in the drafting of situation reports, briefing notes, background material, talking points, fact sheets, press releases and articles.
- Assist in planning and organizing advertisements, exhibitions, training seminars, conferences, meetings, social events and other activities to promote a better understanding of UNHCR’s activities and accomplishments by the general public and/or organized groups.
- Support the management of media relations by, inter alia, drafting responses to direct queries, draft press releases and organizing regular briefings and visits to country operations.
- Organize press briefings for external parties as required.
Perform other related duties as required.
Authority (decisions made in executing responsibilities and to achieve results)
- Organize the distribution of UNHCR publications and the provision of materials to various institutions and individuals.
- Produce reports for donor agencies as required.
- REQUIRED COMPETENCIES, which illustrate behaviours that are essential to achieving deliverables described above, and that are critical to successful performance. All jobs require the staff to abide to the Values and Core competencies of UNHCR. Where applicable, select a maximum of six Managerial and three Cross-Functional Competencies. (Note that the Performance Appraisal and Management System (PAMS) allows for up to five Cross-Functional Competencies to be selected by the staff member and the supervisor.
|1. M001||Empowering and Building Trust|
|2. M002||Managing Performance|
|3. M003||Judgement and Decision Making|
|4. M004||Strategic Planning and Vision|
|6. M006||Managing Resources|
|1. X001||Analytical Thinking|
|2. X002||Innovation and Creativity|
|3. X003||Technological Awareness|
|4. X004||Negotiation and Conflict Resolution|
|5. X005||Planning and Organizing|
|6. X006||Policy Development and Research|
|7. X007||Political Awareness|
|8. X008||Stakeholder Management|
|9. X009||Change Capability and Adaptability|
- ESSENTIAL MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS AND PROFESSIONAL EXPERIENCE REQUIRED Define the educational background, the relevant job experience and the language(s) that are essential to perform the work of the position.
- Undergraduate degree (equivalent of a BA/BS) in Political or Social Sciences, International Relations, Journalism, Communication or other related fields plus minimum 1 year of previous work experience relevant to the function. Graduate degree (equivalent of a Master’s) or Doctorate degree (equivalent of a PhD) may also be accepted.
- Computer and IT skills (MS Office, website preparation etc.).
- Highly developed drafting ability in working language of duty station.
- Excellent knowledge of local institution, politics and culture.
- Very good knowledge of local language and local institutions is essential
- Very good knowledge of English and UN working language of the duty station if not English.
|5. DESIRABLE QUALIFICATIONS & COMPETENCIES. Describe any experience or knowledge that would be an asset, such as: UNHCR Learning Programmes, other training, additional languages, Field/HQs experience, etc.
– Completion of UNHCR learning programmes or specific training relevant to functions of the position.
– Knowledge of additional UN languages.
– Interested candidates should read the Terms of Reference carefully and apply if suitably qualified.
– Interested candidates are required to submit signed Motivation Letter and UNHCR P11 form;
– UNHCR P11 form and Supplement form are available: UNHCR Personal History Form (open Hyperlink). Please note that any previous version of the P11 will no longer be considered;
– Applications of father, mother, son, daughter, or siblings of a staff member of UNHCR cannot be considered;
– Applications will not be acknowledged. Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted and invited for the written test and the interview;
– Applicants with working experience in International Organizations, preferably United Nations, are highly encouraged to apply;
– For any query please contact: [email protected].
Interested candidates should submit their applications (Completed UNHCR Personal History (P.11) form, P11 Supplement form and Motivation Letter) electronically by e-mail to: [email protected] or in the sealed envelope addressed to: UNHCR Albania, Skenderbej Str., Gurten Building, 2nd floor, Tirana, Albania referring to the Vacancy Notice reference UNHCR: ALB/TIR/19/NPO/04
Deadline for submitting applications is 30 August, 2019, 17:30 CET. Late or incomplete applications received without the above specified documents will not be considered;